I am Pakistani passport holder and I have a Schengen Visa and studying in Sweden going back to my country and the flight I booked has a 21-hour layover at Manchester do I need to apply for a transit visa.


If you are not leaving the airport, or not switching airports, and your transit is less than 24 hours, then you do not need a transit visa; on the basis of your Schengen D visa.

See the requirements:

Exemptions You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

  • a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
  • a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)

All visas and residence permits must be valid.

  • thank you so much for reply but sorry for being naive, I don't know what category D visa is but I will be having flight tickets on me for a round trip back to Amsterdam. Can you please tell me if that would work and can i go out of the airport as i said it is a layover of 21 hours Mar 11 '18 at 22:52
  • This is not all. OP can also pass through border control and get out of airport on a TVOW. Mar 12 '18 at 2:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.