I'm planning on taking my 6 year old nephew on a domestic flight (Leeds to Cornwall) this summer.

I understand that if we were going abroad, I would need a letter of parental/guardian consent. Is this the same for domestic flights? Is there anything else that I need?

I have permission from both parents.

  • Which airline? Though I imagine there aren't that many flying leeds to cornwall!
    – Berwyn
    Mar 7, 2018 at 19:40
  • Probably FlyBE or BritishAirways
    – user74596
    Mar 7, 2018 at 19:49
  • 1
    I would get a parental permission letter anyway, in case the police want to question you. That is just my personal opinion, though. Mar 11, 2018 at 1:24

1 Answer 1


From FlyBE's requirements (much less strict for Domestic travel):

Children and domestic travel

Children under the age of 16 do not need to show ID on domestic routes. The adult they are travelling with can vouch for the infant's/child's identification, providing the relevant photo ID is shown (by the adult). On International routes a passport will be required.

If the child is traveling unaccompanied and aged between 12-16 years, they will be required to produce photographic ID.

So it seems like they're register that there was a child travelling with you, but would rely on you for the identification. No other document is required.

Again, this is for domestic only.

You must log in to answer this question.