I am a USA valid visa holder. I want to go from Dhaka to China to Korea (2 days) to China (4 days) to Los Angeles. Then come back, fly to New York to China to Dhaka. Am I eligible to enter Korea without a visa?

  • Just to be clear, you're from Bangladesh? you would transit in China, then stay in South Korea for 2 days, then travel to again China and stay there for 4 days and then finally go to the USA? – Newton Feb 28 '18 at 11:59
  • 2
    A two day stay is generally too long to be considered as “transit”... – Jacob Horbulyk Feb 28 '18 at 14:23
  • @Jacob How so? Many countries allow multiday visa and visa-free transit. In China, passport holders of 51 countries are allowed 72 hour Visa free transit at all their major airports and 144 hours at Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. – HanniballRun Mar 1 '18 at 1:33
  • @HanniballRun True, though few countries allow visa-free transit if you aren't actually in transit. If you fly China-Korea-China, you're just straight up visiting Korea, not transiting. Even China's liberal visa-free transit policy requires you to transit China on your way to a third country. – Zach Lipton Mar 1 '18 at 23:55

From Timatic, the immigration database used by airlines, South Korea's transit visa exception policy (click through to "For details, click here") is rather complicated:

Visa Exemptions:

  • Nationals of any country with a visa issued by Australia,

    Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA or United Kingdom if in transit through Korea (Rep.) must: -hold confirmed onward tickets on flights departing within

    30 days; when -arriving from the country that issued the visa and departing to a third country. (YVR-ICN-DEL); or

    -arriving from a third country and departing to the country

    that issued the visa (e.g. DEL-ICN-YVR); or -arriving from a third country after having transited that country for a maximum stay of 3 days, departing to the

    country that issued the visa (e.g. DEL-SGN-ICN-YVR); or -arriving from a third country, traveling to another country and staying there for a maximum stay of 3 days, then departing to the country that issued the visa (e.g.


    • This does not apply to nationals of Afghanistan, Cuba,

    Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Korea (Dem. People's Rep.), Kosovo (Rep.), Macedonia (FYROM), Nigeria, Sudan and Syria.

    • This does not apply to passengers with a document issued by the Palestinian Territory

As I understand this, you would not qualify and would need a visa. You are not transiting South Korea at all, but are visiting, going back and forth to China before going to the US. You would either need to receive a Korean visa or modify your itinerary to comply with these requirements.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.