Can you drive with a victoria heavy vehicle license in New York a bus/truck?

closed as unclear what you're asking by CGCampbell, Mark Mayo Mar 14 '18 at 4:09

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Are you planning to live there and work as a driver, or stay temporarily and use the vehicle as a mobile home? Also, is your licence from Victoria, Australia? – user16259 Feb 25 '18 at 9:10
  • i'm going for vacation but not for a mobile home – moshe Feb 26 '18 at 0:40
  • I don't have an answer to the question, but I'm curious to know why you want to drive a large vehicle on holiday but not as a mobile home. – user16259 Feb 26 '18 at 13:54

In general, if you do not become a resident of New York State, you can drive with your foreign license. If your foreign license authorizes you to drive the truck then you can use it in New York. See the Department of Motor Vehicles page on Driving in New York State, which mentions no restrictions on vehicle types.

Note that a regular New York State license allows its bearer to drive trucks up to 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating; 26,000 pounds is nearly 11,793 kg, so if the truck you're driving does not exceed that, it's likely that a police officer would not pay much attention to the kinds of vehicles you are licensed to drive.

Also note that operating a truck in commercial service would almost certainly cause you to fall afoul of immigration law, and perhaps federal laws governing transportation in interstate commerce, even though your driver's license allows you to operate the vehicle under New York's driver licensing law.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.