Recently my mother applied for a UK standard visitor visa from India, which was refused. Her circumstances are:

  • My mother owns land, which is cultivated, so we mentioned her as self-employed (agriculturist) with yearly income.
  • We attached bank statements and certificate of fixed deposit from the bank.
  • As all/most of the transactions in rural India are done in cash, there are no regular bank deposits.

Reason for the refusal:

  • From refusal letter - "There is no indication that the funds in these accounts have been generated through your stated employment. This causes me to doubt your circumstances are as claimed and I am not satisfied that you have presented an accurate picture of your economic circumstances in India."

I am on a Tier 2 visa. I sponsored my mother's entire travel and stay in the UK, which they acknowledged. My wife and I are expecting a baby, so we wanted my mother to be here with us and stated this in the application as a reason for my mother's visit.

Edit (refusal letter)

enter image description here

enter image description here

Any help would be highly appreciated.


  • 2
    Unfortunately, it's difficult to provide documentation when everything is handled in cash, though I know that's common in many areas. Does she have receipts or other paperwork that could demonstrate the source of these funds? Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 0:29
  • Thank you, @zach, no she does not have the receipt, but we could try getting some documentation if that is acceptable, is there anything else we could do to strengthen new application?
    – tnila
    Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 0:52
  • Start depositing the cash payments into a bank account. Then you'll have a regular history of deposits to refer to in a future application. (But do not deposit a single large sum or they will suspect you of "funds parking".) Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 0:59
  • Thank you @roddy yes we will do a regular deposit for future applications, but is there any way to apply sooner? as we want my mother to visit us when the baby arrives.
    – tnila
    Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 1:03
  • 1
    How does your mother pay taxes? The government should give her some sort of receipt which would corroborate her cash income, and that should be accepted by UK immigration. If she doesn't pay taxes...
    – user29788
    Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 2:16

2 Answers 2


Income received in cash can and should be put into a bank account. The problem the visa authority probably has is not with the source of income (a doctor in India working independently, would also get most of his earning in cash) but the absence of inflows into a bank account.

  • Thank you, @Deans, based on circumstances what option do you think, I have to reapply?
    – tnila
    Commented Feb 22, 2018 at 17:02

You need to provide sell bill of crops for proof of Income. Also when you claim about your income you need provide documents for same and for same you can submit income certificate from local government like village panchayat.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .