I am an Indian holding a valid passport with a valid F1 (student) visa. I want to travel to Europe for my break. Can I travel there without applying for a Schengen visa? I have heard that US visa holders don't need a visa to travel to Europe. If so, is it applicable for F1 visa holders as well?


No. You will need a Schengen visa.

Holders of US visas are exempt, in certain cases, from the need to obtain a Schengen transit visa (see Do I need a visa to transit (or layover) in the Schengen area?) if they don't need to enter the Schengen area and simply need to change planes once within the zone, but that exemption does not extend to visitor visas.


I have heard that US visa holders don't need a visa to travel in Europe

Whoever told you that is wrong

To enter the Schengen Area, you must have a Schengen visa, and holding another country's visa, even from a non-Schengen EU country, does not exempt you.

  • 9
    Whoever told him that might have been right, but the message imprecisely stated or misunderstood, if "travel in Europe" was used in a context where it meant "transit through a European airport." – phoog Feb 22 '18 at 5:56
  • US passport holders don't need a visa to my understanding. – Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen Feb 22 '18 at 16:53
  • @ThorbjørnRavnAndersen Not for visits, no, and for e.g. Germany not even for residence – Crazydre Feb 22 '18 at 16:56
  • @Coke That may have been the source of confusion here – Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen Feb 22 '18 at 16:58

You cannot travel Europe with US visa but it will ease the process of getting Schengen visa for you.


As others have pointed out, you do need a Schengen VISA. You might have either misheard the person who told you, or they might have misspoke - what's true is that US Passport holders don't need a VISA to visit most (all?) Schengen nations.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.