I have booked a ticket with British airways as follows.

  • April 28, 2018 Hyderabad to London Heathrow.
  • May 2, 2018 London Heathrow to Boston.

Do I need a transit visa to get into London? If yes, what is the procedure and what documents are required? Kindly advise. I have a valid US visa and a valid passport.

  • 4
    As you'll be spending several days in the UK, a transit visa will not suffice. You need a Standard Visitor visa. – phoog Feb 21 '18 at 7:59
  • 2
    @MadHatter but the described itinerary is not actually a layover. – phoog Feb 21 '18 at 8:00
  • 1
    British Airways offer that route on that date with as little as 5 hours connection time. With a stay of several days, you would be a visitor to the UK, not a transit passenger. As you already have onward travel plans and a USA visa you should have no trouble getting a UK visit visa, but you should apply in advance. – user16259 Feb 21 '18 at 8:45
  • 1
    Sorry, you are all (of course) right. I put too much faith in the title of the question, and failed to realise the entire premiss was faulty. – MadHatter supports Monica Feb 21 '18 at 8:50

April 28, 2018 - May 2, 2018

Do I need a transit visa to get into London?

No, You need a standard visitor visa for that long a transit.

Apply for a Visitor in Transit visa if you’ll be going through UK border control but leaving the UK within 48 hours


However if your stay in the UK was for less than 48 hours and given the fact that you hold a visa for and are travelling to the USA you were eligible for a transit without a visa

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.