I've seen this on several buildings in Vienna in Innerstadt, a few weeks ago. Wondered what exactly it meant.

vienna placard


This seems to be something used for surveying. The logo on top seems to indicate it's from a civil engineering company.

The scale looks very much like a level staff, so it's most probably used for some sort of height difference measurement.

I tried to look for projects this could be related to both on the webpage of the city administration survey service and the project website of the construction company, however, I can't find anything specific. It could be used for a construction project or to measure subsidence.

  • 1
    "It could be used for a construction project or to measure subsidence." - More likely "and" rather than "or". My money (as a civil engineer) is on there being a nearby construction project, and they're required to prove that they're not affecting nearby buildings by regularly surveying them for subsidence.
    – AndyT
    Feb 8 '18 at 12:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.