A German friend of mine lives in Taiwan. He is on a short trip to the Hague right now. We would like to travel together to the Czech Republic for 14 days.

I have an Iranian passport but living in Turkey. I have previous UK and Schengen visas on my passport.

  1. Is it possible for him to send me an invitation letter from the Netherlands?
  2. Should he visit a police station in order to do this?

1 Answer 1


In Germany there is a special kind of invitation called a Verpflichtungserklärung, where the sponsor guarantees to reimburse the German government for any costs should the visitor overstay. This kind of invitation is usually not required to apply for a visa, but it may cause the granting of a visa that would otherwise be denied (because the applicant is deemed a high risk for overstay). This letter must be filed with the municipal authorities, not the police.

But that wouldn't help with the Czech authorities.

  • 2
    +1 on the notion this wouldn't help at all with the Czech authorities.
    – Janka
    Commented Feb 5, 2018 at 21:03
  • 1
    OP can also change his plans and go to Germany instead. Say, 8 days in Germany and 6 days in Czech Republic would be okay.
    – JonathanReez
    Commented Feb 7, 2018 at 0:21
  • @JonathanReez what purpose would that serve? Is there any reason not to plan a 2-week trip to the Czech republic?
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 7, 2018 at 2:44
  • Assuming OP needs an invitation he could use that route to get a German visa. It's also possible that the Czech consulate is farther away and less convenient.
    – JonathanReez
    Commented Feb 7, 2018 at 3:02

You must log in to answer this question.