The ESTA application form asks

Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country?

enter image description here

How should I fill out the application form if I am no longer in physical possession of an expired passport from another country?

  • 6
    This is fully answered by the help available on the form itself. Anyone looking for the answer to this question should use that help, not the answers posted here, which may be out of date or unintentionally inaccurate. Commented Feb 6, 2018 at 15:24

1 Answer 1


Move your mouse over the circled ? just above the drop-down. It'll tell you:

enter image description here

If you have been issued one of these documents from another country, but you do not remember the passport number or national identification card number and the year of expiration answer "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and four zeros "0000" in the year of expiration field.

  • 22
    I've deleted my answer in favour of this one because even though they both say the same thing, this one is better and provides exactly what the OP is looking for Commented Feb 5, 2018 at 17:43
  • 3
    @HankyPanky I wish I could upvote you 5x for that, but I can't even upvote you once! Oh wait. You have other answers. Commented Feb 6, 2018 at 5:30
  • 32
    @Harper: Please don't. Answers should be evaluated on an individual basis, not on the basis of the individual who posted them. Commented Feb 6, 2018 at 8:01
  • 6
    @Harper - Not only that, but you'll be caught by the system and your votes reversed if you target an individual for voting. Commented Feb 6, 2018 at 14:48
  • 3
    @MatthieuM I'm aware, they were answers I had recalled seeing before and thought were worthy of upvotes. Commented Feb 6, 2018 at 17:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .