I'm flying to Thailand with a US Travel Document and a visa for Thailand. I have a 7-hour layover in China. Should I be good with the 24-hour China visa exemption or should I attempt to get a visa for China (or e-visa) since I'm a US permanent resident and not a US citizen, just for the layover? Thank you.

My Current nationality is Stateless (parents were refugees from USSR in the early 90's). I wish to layover at Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN).

  • What is your citizenship and in which airport is the layover? – mts Feb 1 '18 at 15:35
  • 3
    Im a United States Permanent Resident in the process of becoming a Citizen. My Current nationality is Stateless (parents were refugees from USSR in the early 90's). Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport. – J K Feb 1 '18 at 18:40
  • travel.stackexchange.com/q/106266/32134 is related, but it does not answer your query as you are stateless and it all that really counts seems to be citizenship. If nobody comes up with a better answer, I would contact the Chinese embassy. Also flyertalk.com/forum/china/… is useful. Stateless is not mentioned as an exclusion to 24h TWOV as far as I can tell. – mts Feb 1 '18 at 19:20
  • Here is an Estonian visa agency viisa.ee/en/services/visa-issuing/visa-to-china that procures transit visa for stateless persons with permanent residency in Estonia, I would assume similar applies for you. – mts Feb 1 '18 at 19:27

A query through Timatic, the database used by airlines to check document requirements, a visa is necessary for passengers holding travel documents issued to stateless persons (or refugees or travel documents for aliens).

The G Visa is for those who transit through China, applied for at the consular office that serves your area of residence (locations are Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; San Francisco, CA). The regular processing time is about 4 working days.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.