I’m a bit confused about entry into the USA. I’m flying to Boston from the UK for a long weekend and meeting Canadian relatives there. We were then hoping to drive across to Canada and then I would Fly back to the UK from Toronto. I understand that you have to apply for ESTA and also the Canadian equivalent.

My question is: at US immigration would I satisfy the authorities that I have satisfactory travel arrangements to gain entry into the US? Also, would I be allowed to travel across the border by private transport? My flights have been booked.

  • 2
    You do not need a Canadian eTA to cross the land border. – phoog Jan 19 '18 at 12:20
  • Yes, you can cross the boarder by private transport. – Jacob Horbulyk Jan 20 '18 at 22:03

As phoog mentions, an eTA is not required when entering by land. This lists countries exempt from the eTA .

  • But what about the round-trip ticket requirement for the VWP? Can a ticket from Canada to the UK fulfill this requirement? – phoog Jan 20 '18 at 23:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.