I have US and UK citizenship and passports. I live in the US. I am traveling to China. Does it matter which passport I use to get visa?

  • I might not know how it matters but I would get it on the US passport assuming that the travel plan would be US-China-US. To keep things simple with CBP on re-entry, just in case. – Newton Jan 16 '18 at 12:16

US citizens can now receive 10-year visas to China. Although there has been some talk about this, I don’t believe these are normally issued to British citizens yet, so if you travel to China frequently and are interested in a 10-year visa, applying using your US passport would be best.

  • Do you need to specifically ask for it? When I applied for a Chinese visa with my US passport a little while ago, I got a 6 months validity. – Aleks G Jan 16 '18 at 16:30
  • 1
    @AleksG It’s at their discretion but my understanding was that it’s given to most people by default, and I know people who have received it. Did you ask for multiple entries and have at least 12 months validity left on your passport? – Guan Yang Jan 16 '18 at 16:35
  • Yes to both. That said, this was about 3 years ago, so things may have changed. – Aleks G Jan 16 '18 at 17:01
  • @AleksG the ten-year visa arrangement was concluded in 2014, so I suppose your earlier application was approved before it took effect. See for example china-embassy.org/eng/visas/hrsq. – phoog Jan 17 '18 at 16:08
  • @phoog yes, that's what I suspected – Aleks G Jan 17 '18 at 16:41

As You live in the US and have US citizenship you'd be best off applying for the 10 year visa in your US passport (You need to be both a US Citizen and a US resident to get the 10 year visa - at least that was the case when i got mine in 2016).

With a UK passport most people receive a 2 year visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.