I am a Filipino currently holding a Greece National Type D visa. Before traveling to Greece, however, I would like to stay in Italy for 3 weeks.

Will I have any problems at the Italian airport if I show up with this visa only? I was told I need to go to Greece before I could travel to Italy. I would like to know if anybody had a similar experience before.

  • @jcaron: probably not the same problem, as it may be a requirement to first arrive in the country that issued the visum.
    – Tomas By
    Commented Jan 12, 2018 at 14:32
  • @TomasBy, the last line of the quote is "You can also pass through other Schengen area countries on the way to your host country."
    – jcaron
    Commented Jan 12, 2018 at 14:34
  • @jcaron: but that seems to be about going to another Schengen country when you are already in, ie through a third one. Or maybe you are right.
    – Tomas By
    Commented Jan 12, 2018 at 14:50
  • @TomasBy the host country is the visa issuing country and the OP can pass through other Schengen areas while on the way to the host country.
    – Newton
    Commented Jan 12, 2018 at 16:33
  • @Newton: if you follow the link you find the quote is from this page which is titled `Already in the EU' so I am still not 100% sure you can first arrive in a country different from the one that issued the visa.
    – Tomas By
    Commented Jan 12, 2018 at 16:43

1 Answer 1


Since you're going to take up residence in Greece, making it your main destination, you are allowed to visit Italy as well, unless otherwise is explicitly stated on the visa (which does not normally happen).

As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:

Italy: Visa required, except for Passengers with a valid D visa issued by Greece for a maximum stay of 90 days

So yes, you can visit Italy for 3 weeks.

  • I emailed the Italian embassy in London recently and this is their reply: "You are holding a National Greek Visa, therefore your first port of Entry must be Greece. If before to go to Greece you want to travel to Italy you must apply for a Schengen Tourist Visa. You will be free to move in other Schengen Countries after you entered in Greece and applied for a Greek Residence permit." 😕😕
    – Leira
    Commented Jan 19, 2018 at 18:14
  • 1
    @Leira OK, I called the border police at Rome-Fiumicino Airport and they said as long as your D visa is valid, you're fine. The Timatic database says the same thing, so if check-in staff tries to deny you boarding, ask them to check Timatic, entering Greece as the residence country. It will either a residence Permit or D visa is required
    – Crazydre
    Commented Jan 19, 2018 at 19:32
  • @Coke how do you query the Timatic?
    – Phil
    Commented Jan 19, 2018 at 20:40
  • 1
    @Phil timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/…
    – Crazydre
    Commented Jan 19, 2018 at 21:21
  • @Leira If this answer satifies yiu, please upvote it and accept it by pressing the button below the down arrow
    – Crazydre
    Commented Jan 20, 2018 at 21:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .