I'm 17 and I am applying for a US passport in the Philippines. Do I use the DS-11 form? Although I'm a US citizen, my guardian doesn't have legal custody and my mother can't be located. So far, I haven't been able to get a US passport because I am only 17 and am not in the US.

How and where can I apply and how long does the process take?

My father is trying to get a passport for me from within the US; will he be able to do this?

  • Were you born in the US, or were you born abroad? If abroad, then do you have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)? Jan 10, 2018 at 23:29
  • "my guardian doesn't have legal custody and my mother can't be located" Well, who has legal custody?
    – user102008
    Jan 11, 2018 at 0:11
  • "So far, I haven't been able to get a US passport because I am only 17 and am not in the US." What exactly has been stopping you from getting a US passport? Are you missing proof of US citizenship? or missing parental consent? Are the statements on the passports for 16- and 17-year-olds page, that they only need either an ID or one parent's awareness, not true when applying abroad?
    – user102008
    Jan 11, 2018 at 0:14
  • Ive been living withing my mothers friend before she left i was born in the US. By legal custody i meant that my guardian doesnt have real paperwork that actually says hes my guardian. Will my father in the US be able to get a passport for me?
    – user72433
    Jan 11, 2018 at 1:33
  • If my father was able to get a passport how would he get it without me to represent myself?
    – user72433
    Jan 11, 2018 at 1:34

1 Answer 1


The best source for instructions on what you need to do comes from the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines. Follow the directions on the Apply for an Adult Passport page.

You will probably need a considerable amount of documentation in order to apply for your first passport. The Passport Checklist details what you will need.

It may be possible for your father to submit the application on your behalf, but he will need at least a signed statement from you authorizing him to do so, plus the same stack of documentation that you would need to apply yourself.

  • I have a couple questions in the comment section could u plz answer
    – user72433
    Jan 11, 2018 at 2:31
  • If my dad was able to apply would i still need to apply here also?
    – user72433
    Jan 11, 2018 at 2:42
  • 1
    You only need to submit an application for a passport once. The government will not issue two passports for the same person, and submitting two applications won't help. To actually apply, you will submit a bunch of information online, get all your documentation together (they provide detailed checklists for this), submit your documentation to them, and make an appointment. Then, once you have the appointment date and time (and they have done a preliminary check of your documentation), you will book a bus ticket, show up for your interview, and then go home and wait. Jan 11, 2018 at 4:11
  • I filled out a form online and sent it to my dad for him to present. Would they accept that? I put in everything i needed to put in birthcertificate,sss, an ID and it says my dad has to present it to a travel agency other than my signature would they accept the DS-11 and allow me to obtain a passport?
    – user72433
    Jan 11, 2018 at 5:07
  • 1
    Wait, slow down. What does the travel agency have anything to do with it? Jan 12, 2018 at 6:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .