I (German passport holder) can only apply for a Russian visa in my home country or the place of my current residence. Of course, I am already traveling. Soon I will go to Korea, where I have to keep my passport at all times. So I can't send it home for visa applications. It is possible for me, as a tourist, to obtain an Alien Registration Card (ARC) in Korea? With this card I could apply for a Russian via.

  • Presumably the answer to this question depends on the purpose and duration of your stay in Korea. What are they?
    – phoog
    Jan 8, 2018 at 7:56
  • Edited my question. I would be a regular tourist.
    – mariodeng
    Jan 8, 2018 at 7:59
  • Does Germany allow for two passports? As a French citizen, I carry two French passports, and use one to apply for visas while I carry the other one. Jan 8, 2018 at 9:24
  • FWIW, most officials will understand the situation and accept a color photocopy of your passport and a receipt for your visa application as a temporary substitute for ID purposes. Jan 8, 2018 at 11:36
  • Indeed, two passports are allowed. Sadly I did not think about having two, when I started my journey. Obtaining a second one on the road seems to be nightmare. Sending my passport two Germany would be okay, but then I don't get any document/recipe for that.
    – mariodeng
    Jan 9, 2018 at 5:32

1 Answer 1


As a tourist you cannot obtain an ARC, because it is for residents, not tourists. Since you don't reside in Korea, you can't go to the Immigration office in Mok-dong and ask for a resident card. You'd need to enrol in a language course, for instance, or find a job.

Note that if for instance you enrolled in a language class, say a 6-month course while in Korea, you'd have to take a few points in consideration:

  • Start date of the class: it's not a buffet. You can't start when you want.
  • If you find a class while already in Korea, you'll have to leave Korea to invalide your tourist visa, go to a Korean consulate to apply for the student visa, and come back.
  • You then need to go to Mok-dong and register. For first-timers, getting the card can take a few weeks (and a couple of visits to Mok-dong).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.