I am an Indian and I'm going to get a B1 visa for the US within a couple of days. I will be traveling to Seattle. Is there any possibility of traveling to Canada-Vancouver with this visa from Seattle? Or do I need to apply for a tourist visa from India?

I am looking to travel to Canada from the US for just a day.


1 Answer 1


Canada is a different country with its own visa requirements. As an Indian national, you would need to apply for a separate Canadian visa.

There are no reciprocal agreements between Canada and the US that allow for visa exemptions.

If you were to cross the border, you would likely be detained, denied entry, deported and possibly banned from entry to Canada.

  • 2
    While you would be denied entry, I think it unlikely that you would be detained, deported or banned. Canada is a bit nicer than that. Jan 3, 2018 at 18:33
  • 1
    I would hope you would not "cross the border"... But rather, present yourself at the border post, do not allow the Canadian to wave you through, ask and be immediately upfront about your status, and ask who you speak to in order to gain permission to enter. Jan 3, 2018 at 18:35
  • 1
    You would be formally denied entry; and detained (held) at the immigration point while they write up your entry attempt and then deported back. The ban is unlikely, but it does happen. I would agree though, given a choice, I would much rather deal with Canadian immigration than INS. Jan 3, 2018 at 18:39
  • 5
    Presuming the crossing was attempted at a regular border point, it's far more likely that Canada would allow the OP to withdraw their request to enter Canada, and then return to the US rather than being formally denied/deported/etc.
    – Doc
    Jan 3, 2018 at 19:16
  • @Doc If the border security show is any indication, their handguns and ammo would even be returned to them. Jan 3, 2018 at 20:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .