Unfortunately my Australian passport was stolen on New Year's, and as such I am now in possession of an emergency passport, which is not eligible for an ESTA.

Travel plans see me travelling to Mexico this week. However, with no ESTA I won't be allowed back into the States without a valid visa.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? The only option I can see is applying for a visa while in Mexico; however, I feel processing times will be too long.

I'm hoping there is some provision that helps me out as I am not leaving North America.

  • 9
    You will certainly want to consider cancelling your trip to Mexico. Jan 2, 2018 at 22:42
  • Are you entering Mexico via land or air?
    – Doc
    Jan 2, 2018 at 22:59
  • Can you not get 48 hour turnaround on renewal? And what did the consulate say when they issued you with a PTD?
    – Peter M
    Jan 2, 2018 at 23:01
  • 7
    Traveling by land excuses you from having to apply for an ESTA, but not from the other VWP requirements. Having an e-passport is a requirement for entering under the VWP at all and not specific to ESTA, so going by land wouldn't help you. Jan 3, 2018 at 0:38
  • 2
    @Ham I think the word you are looking for in your comments is "eligible" :)
    – user29788
    Jan 3, 2018 at 1:29

1 Answer 1


As best as the community can determine, no special provision exists to permit you to visit Mexico (or Canada) under these circumstances. This means that unless you have high confidence of getting a visa issued in time while you are in Mexico, that you are best to suspend your Mexico travel plans.

It is possible that a US border officer would let you in, given your circumstances, but it is a risk that I wouldn't suggest taking.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .