I applied for a certificate of eligibility in the UK. I didn't have a bank statement account because I work in another country and I only send money back home. So the agency told me to trust any of my relatives or close friends and send him/her money so that he can send 980 GPB in the UK where I'll be working via any moneygram. When I get to the UK, withdraw the money myself.

So I was wondering, is there anything like that or it'a just a scam?

  • 14
    It looks like a scam, just because you probably don't need to involve moneygram. A certificate of eligibility for what? What objective are you trying to achieve? – user16259 Dec 30 '17 at 13:01
  • 6
    If you don't have a bank account, you're probably going to struggle to get a legitimate UK visa, and anybody who tells you otherwise is trying to scam you. – nkjt Dec 30 '17 at 15:29

It’s going to be a certificate of regret for quite some time. There is no such thing. Run!

You obviously told them you don’t have any close friends or relatives in the UK so very shortly they are going to say ok in that case we can do you that favour. And You then kiss goodbye to your money

Just for the sake of completeness you do not need to pay any third party for a work permit. You need to pay UKVI when you apply for one.

| improve this answer | |

There is no such thing. I crafted this Google search (note the quotation marks).

The only hit is this question.

More broadly, the term "certificate of eligibility" is used for foreigners seeking to be students in Japan; British attorneys seeking certification to practice law; and US veterans seeking to use the VA home loan program.

The main point of Brexit is that UK is not desperately searching for foreigners to work in the UK and send their wages overseas.

However lots of dirtbags make money selling this belief to their own countrymen. They sell dubious "services" that are either outright scams, or are rather unlikely to fool the vigilant British.

It is illegal to go to the UK to seek work, unless you enter on a type of visa that is specifically for working. Those are hard to get. As such, people often misuse non-working visas, get caught, and get banned from the UK and other anglo countries with which the UK interchages data.

| improve this answer | |
  • suggested edit: change "dirtbags" to "scumbags" – Vickel Dec 30 '17 at 23:58
  • 1
    Last time I did that, Captain America said "LANGUAGE" ... – Harper - Reinstate Monica Dec 31 '17 at 1:50
  • @Vickel I suppose "scambags" would be more appropriate. – Mast Dec 31 '17 at 3:50
  • It is illegal to go to the UK to seek work unless you are a citizen of an EU or EEA country (which might change in March 2019). – Mike Scott Dec 31 '17 at 7:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.