Can a Peru passport holder flying from Peru to Cancun, Mexico take a flight with a plane change in the US.? International travel

  • Yes it is but that answer was from 2012. Further investigation reveals that the answer is the same: a US visa is absolutely required even for a short connection via a US airport if the traveler holds only a Peruvian passport.
    – Rider0109
    Dec 30, 2017 at 0:07

1 Answer 1


Yes, provided you have a current US visa.

Peru does not participate in the Visa Waiver Program so a visa is required to enter the United States. This is the case for all connections as no US airport has a transit zone.

Note, the visa refusal rate for Peru is quite low, ~20%. Whether or not it's worth applying is something only you can determine.

  • Thank you for this observation. Would the refusal rate be as low if a a B-2 visitors visa were sought for a future trip?
    – Rider0109
    Dec 30, 2017 at 0:09
  • 2
    Why would they need an ESTA (or how could they obtain one) if they need a visa? Dec 30, 2017 at 1:06
  • 1
    provided you have a US Visa and current ESTA - I thought ESTA was only required if you were entering under VWP, so if they have a Visa then ESTA shouldn't be a requirement?
    – Midavalo
    Dec 30, 2017 at 1:07
  • Doh! You are right, I'd blame auto correct but my bad. Funny, I totally would have take a downvote on that since for once, it would have been legit.
    – DTRT
    Dec 30, 2017 at 1:27
  • @Rider0109 Well, all visas are for future trips. The point is, barring extreme circumstances, Peruvian applicants should expect to be approved.
    – DTRT
    Dec 30, 2017 at 1:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .