I want to visit Germany for 2 weeks with my 2 kids and wife. We have an Australian convention travel document, except our little daughter, who has an Australian passport. Do we need a visa to enter Germany?

  • 1
    @dda You're awesome with your quick edits! Wish to see you become a mod here someday. Dec 29, 2017 at 9:53
  • @HankyPanky Christmas/New Year's holidays + OCD = win :-)
    – user67108
    Dec 29, 2017 at 9:54
  • 1
    Not a definite answer, but in travel.stackexchange.com/a/46414/67108 it says that Germany doesn't require a visa from people with a Travel Document from the US. One might surmise that it is the same for Australia, but but but, this would need to be confirmed...
    – user67108
    Dec 29, 2017 at 9:56

2 Answers 2


You and your family with travel document valid for at least 4 months can enter visa free for 90 days

Holders of UN Travel documents, issued by the Australian Government according to the UN Conventions for refugees (Convention of 28 July 1951) and stateless persons (Convention of 28 September 1954), mentioned on the front page, can enter Germany without a visa for an intended stay of up to 90 days, as long as at the time of entry into Germany their travel document is still valid for at least 4 months and they do not engage in any type of gainful employment.

Your daughter with an Australian passport can also enter visa free for 90 days.

Australian citizens do not need a visa for the Schengen area, which includes Germany, for an intended stay of up to 90 days in a 180 day period as long as

  • their passports are valid for at least 3 months beyond the intended length of stay in the Schengen zone and they do not engage in any type of gainful employment

German mission to Australia


Australian citizens do not need to apply for a visa to visit the Schengen countries for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period. The 90 days can be used either for one long stay or several shorter stays.

Germany tourist visa is not required for citizens of Australia for a stay up to 90 days.

  • 2
    This is the answer for the daughter with Australian citizenship, but not for the other three people.
    – chirlu
    Dec 29, 2017 at 16:18
  • 1
    Convention travel document is for refugees, not citizens...
    – user67108
    Dec 30, 2017 at 4:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .