I am Russian citizen and I am going from Italy to Bridgetown (Barbados) with a transit in London.

I will arrive at 23:05 in London (LHR) terminal 1 with Alitalia Airlines and will go to final destination the next day 11:30 from London (LHR) terminal 3 with Virgin Atlantic.

Would I need a transit visa for this itinerary?

For the transit visa I have:

  • You arrive and depart by air. OK
  • You have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive. OK
  • You have the correct documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country). OK
  • You have a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country I DON'T KNOW because I have a residence permit in Italy, but I am not sure if it is a e-residence permits (that is not acceptable for transiting through immigration control without a visa).

In italian my residence permit is called "Permesso di Soggiorno Elettronico". Please help me find the difference between e-residence permit and others.

  • Is it a plastic card with a bull on it? – phoog Dec 27 '17 at 22:51
  • Yes it is plastic card – Sofya Dec 28 '17 at 13:30
  • Does it have a bull? – phoog Dec 28 '17 at 14:38
  • Yes, It is a plastic card with a bull and 5 stars – Sofya Dec 28 '17 at 16:06
  • Your question seems to be based on the assumption that an e-permit is not the same as a common format permit, but that appears to be incorrect. Where did you get that information? – phoog Dec 28 '17 at 19:08

What you have is the new electronic residence permit (PSE), introduced in 2015, which is more secure than the previous one and more difficult to counterfeit. It complies with EC Regulation no. 1030/2002, as amended by the EC Regulation n. 380/2008 and is common format residence permit issued by an EEA Member State or Switzerland.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.