I have travelled to the US on B1/B2 visa and later on an F-1 visa. Due to a personal emergency I had to leave midway in the program while I was on an F-1 visa. But I'd informed the graduate office, my professor and completed the necessary formalities.

Will I face an issue if I were to travel to the US again. Do I need to reapply for a US visa since I already have a B1/B2 visa which is still valid?

  • Not sure I understand the question. If your visa B1/B2 is still valid why would you need to reapply for a visa to enter the country? F visa might be a different story but you may want to clarify.
    – Karlson
    Nov 20, 2012 at 15:22
  • @Karlson I wanted to know if an issuance of F-1 visa automatically invalidates the B1/B2 visa. I dont want to have any issues at the port of entry because of this.
    – pjay
    Nov 21, 2012 at 5:30
  • There is no reason why it should but a consulate would be able to give you a definite answer
    – Karlson
    Nov 21, 2012 at 11:37

3 Answers 3


I didnt have any issues at the port of entry, it was pretty smooth. He just asked my purpose of travel and stamped me.


Unless your B Visa or F Visa have been revoked and stamped as such as documented here you should still be able to enter US if one or the other Visa is still valid.

One thing that I can't find yet is whether or not obtaining of F visa supersedes B visa but I don't think it should.


On the subject of F visa superseding and invalidating the B visa you can obtain this information at the local consulate.

  • Your link is now broken. :-(
    – phoog
    Dec 5, 2016 at 20:08
  • Yeah... Not sure where it was.
    – Karlson
    Dec 5, 2016 at 20:16

If you enter on a B1/B2 visa they can only give you a duration of stay of 6 months or less. To resume F1 status and be able to stay as long as your program lasts, you need to enter on an F1 visa.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .