I am travelling to France for a week during summer vacations and I'm planning to do a road trip with the family. Do I need to get an IDP, or is a valid Indian driving licence sufficient? I'll be applying for a Schengen visa in a month or two.

BTW, I drive in US with my Indian licence when I go there on business visa, and it's okay there.

1 Answer 1


Legally, for visitors, a foreign driving license is enough provided it is written in French. Otherwise, an International Driving Permit is not formally required but if you don't have one, you are supposed to have a translation in French from a certified translator, which is probably just as troublesome to obtain.

Rules for longer stays and for licenses issued by EU member states and associated countries differ.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.