I am an Indian passport holder residing in Switzerland with a B permit. Going by the information online I assumed I do not require a visa to travel to Mexico as a resident of a Schengen area country. Is this incorrect? This is urgent, could someone please let me know asap. Thanks.

1 Answer 1


As stated in Timatic, the database used by Airlines:

Visa required, except for Passengers with a valid visa issued by [...] a Schengen Member State for a maximum stay of 180 days


Visa required, except for Passengers with a permanent residence permit issued by Switzerland for a maximum stay of 180 days.

A B permit is not permanent; as such you do need a visa.

  • Hi @Coke, Thanks for this confirmation. This is really unfortunate because even someone with a tourist visa to Switzerland can travel to Mexico without a Mexican visa, but someone with a legal residency of 5 years in Switzerland is not permitted. It seems to be a crack which I have unfortunately fallen into. Ive had to cancel my year end holiday at the very last minute.
    – user71818
    Dec 25, 2017 at 23:04
  • @user71818 Yeah, sorry about that :/
    – Crazydre
    Dec 26, 2017 at 18:04
  • @user71818 Don't forget to get a refund of the airport taxes for the flight from the company you booked through. The taxes are always refundable as long as you cancel the ticket or don't board the flight.
    – Crazydre
    Dec 26, 2017 at 18:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .