My question is can you travel withing the Schengen area with only your passport if you are not a European citizen?
Is a passport sufficient to show your ID or do you need to provide the residence permit of the country you are currently staying in at all times? The nationality of the person travelling is Iranian and they are travelling from Sweden to Germany. They reside in Sweden and have applied for an extension to their visa but still no word has come from the Swedish migration board yet and they need to travel to Germany for a work event. So, can they go to Germany and come back without being required to show the residence permit for Sweden at the gate check or somewhere else?

  • Should be opened . Question is clear now and the answer is "yes". – Michael Renper Dec 19 '17 at 13:22
  • Michael, when you say the answer is "yes", to which part of the question you are answering? Do you mean yes, a non european can travel within schengen with a passport? – Mehrdad Dec 19 '17 at 18:33
  • @Neusser OP's talking about an ID Card from the tax authority (as opposed to the police), which is not tied to citizenship and cannot be used as a travel document. (Source, I'm Swedish) – Crazydre Dec 20 '17 at 12:35
  • @Mehrdad If not flying on a low-cost carrier and only having hand luggage, they will usually only have to show their boarding pass. When flying on a low-cost carrier such as Ryanair, both a valid passport and valid residence permit is required. If flying on a normal carrier with checked luggage, at least a passport is required at bag drop, but I'm not sure about the residence permit – Crazydre Dec 20 '17 at 12:38
  • @JonathanReez See my answer to Neusser – Crazydre Dec 20 '17 at 12:38