My husband lost his passport in Germany yesterday (Thursday) he will be issued his Emergency Travel document from the UK embassy in Munich on Monday. Can anyone advise if he can get a visa to enter the US before Christmas? Would he be better off trying to fly to the US from Germany?

All advice gratefully received.

  • 3
    You can replace your passport in a day if you are in the UK. If he is a UK citizen then he shouldn't need a visa for the USA. Why do you think he needs a visa? Commented Dec 15, 2017 at 18:46
  • @DJClayworth he might if he's had any involvement with several particular countries recently. Also, op might mean an ESTA, as many many people see that as a visa - to all intents and purposes, it is very similar.
    – user29788
    Commented Dec 15, 2017 at 19:42
  • 2
    Hi everyone. He won’t have a full passport only emergency travel docs and you don’t appear to be able to use this without a full visa rather than vwp. Can he apply for an esta with ETD?
    – Kate
    Commented Dec 15, 2017 at 20:47
  • 1
    Also U.K. passport office said he can’t use passport in a day if passport is lost or stolen. Plus he is stuck in Germany at the moment awaiting the ETDs
    – Kate
    Commented Dec 15, 2017 at 20:48
  • 1
    "UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) aren’t valid for entry into the United States or transit through the United States under the Visa Waiver Programme. If you’re planning to enter or transit through the US using an ETD you must apply for a visa from the nearest US embassy or consulate before you travel, or hold a valid lawful permanent resident card (often referred to as a ‘green card’), which you must have with you on arrival." gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/entry-requirements
    – origimbo
    Commented Dec 15, 2017 at 20:54

1 Answer 1


The US Department of State reports a processing time of four calendar days in Munich, so getting a visa there next week seems likely.

London currently reports seven days for visitor visas, so it's probably best to apply in Munich for that reason, but it should not matter where he flies from.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .