I am planning to travel the United States by Amtrak Rail Pass, however, all the info I found online about the rail passes hasn't bee sufficient and didn't answer all my questions.
I would be very happy I someone experienced enough with the Rail Passes could answer me these questions:
- Are bookings in advance mandatory or can any train be booked at any counter given the 80% pass holder threshold has not been met?
- When I buy a pass, does one segment allow me to travel that one route regardless of price? (e.g. train costs 180$ but I am booking the leg with a segment, hence I pay nothing)
- Does the 45-day limit mean I must complete all 18 legs in 45 days else they will expire?
- When booking a Train Pass I have to specify a pickup date. Must I pick it up that specific day or can it be before that day?
- Given I book the Silver Star from Miami to Washington, DC with one segment, could I decide to get off in Orlando, letting the some of my ticket expire, could I rebook the segment (e.g. Orlando to Washington, DC)
Any tips regarding Amtrak travel and Amtrak Passes would also be much appreciated.