Details: I hold a Indian passport with a valid and unexpired US student visa (F1). I would be travelling from Los Angeles to Mumbai via a 18 hr layover at London Heathrow airport in December 2012.

  • 3
    What kind of transit visa do you have? (see the links in this answer) Nov 10, 2012 at 13:07
  • 2
    @chinmay As one indian citizen to another: you will not be able to take in the sights. You'd need a regular UK visa to get out of the airport. You just don't need a transit visa to change terminals. You have an unexp. US F1 visa, so you should be able to change planes without needing a transit visa even if you do venture into the non-international portions of the airport.
    – dearN
    Nov 12, 2012 at 17:47

1 Answer 1


1) You don't have to apply for a transit visa if you are eligible for a Transit Without Visa (TWOV) concession. The rules for TWOV are outlined here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/carriers/ukvisarequirements.pdf

Indian citizens may not TWOV in general. However, it looks like you meet the following exception:

TWOV is a concession which does not apply to nationals of the countries shown above in red who need visas even when in direct airside transit unless they are in possession of one of the following documents:
(ab) a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country in respect of which the visa is held to another country or territory;

So you should be able to TWOV.

2) You can do sightseeing.

  • 1
    >You can do sightseeing. You mean without a Transit Visa and TWOV concession applied ? May 9, 2014 at 15:59
  • @scrapcodes: No, you have to get a visa or TWOV, and then you can do sightseeing.
    – R-traveler
    May 10, 2014 at 15:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .