As said in the title, I have a French residence permit and I would like to know if I need a UK visa if I transit there?

Thank you!

  • 3
    Visa requirements are usually decided on nationality, not residence. What's your nationality? – user67901 Nov 28 '17 at 6:49
  • 2
    @Airsick visa exemptions sometimes depend on residency, as in this case, so it's not actually necessary to know the traveler's citizenship. – phoog Nov 28 '17 at 10:16

The UK government has an excellent tool(click here) to see if you need a visa. I did a check on a citizenship that usually requires a visa to transit in the UK and will not be leaving the airport.


You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

  • a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
  • a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa
  • a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope) All visas and residence permits must be valid.

I have highlighted in bold the one that would apply to you. Please check with your own nationality and circumstances to be sure on the link provided.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.