I am asking this question again as I have not seen any that pertain to Canadian passports. I am a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport.

I have a flight to a non-Schengen country. However I have two layovers in Schengen countries (Zurich, Vienna). Would I need a visa?

So my flight is Montreal > Zurich (50 minute layover) > Vienna (1 hour layover) > Destination.

Or am I exempt from the visa? I heard from some that I am not exempt, and from some that there is a limit to my time of stay (24/48 hours) I don't know who to believe and I want to book my flight with confidence so I don't lose the offer until tomorrow by calling an embassy.

Thank you!

  • Can't comment on visas, but those layover times are very short.
    – user67901
    Nov 26, 2017 at 3:30
  • 1
    The Zurich to Vienna flight is intra-Schengen, so you will be in the Schengen zone from landing in Zurich to takeoff from Vienna. Nov 26, 2017 at 3:36
  • 1
    Correct, but will I be required a visa in order to go from Zurch to Vienna?
    – user70715
    Nov 26, 2017 at 3:40

1 Answer 1


Canadian citizens do not require a visa to visit the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You do not need a Schengen visa for your itinerary.

I heard from some that I am not exempt, and from some that there is a limit to my time of stay (24/48 hours)

Neither of those assertions is correct.

  • 1
    @udpcon the airport transit visa is not applicable to your itinerary because you are flying directly from one Schengen airport to another (Zurich to Vienna). ATVs only apply to travelers who will not pass through immigration controls, but you will. On top of that, even fewer nationalities are required to get ATVs than are required to get regular Schengen visas; Canadians need neither. See ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/….
    – phoog
    Nov 26, 2017 at 3:51
  • 2
    This French consulate page cited is not talking about Canadian citizens and does not say it is. Nov 26, 2017 at 4:06
  • 2
    This answer is correct. The Consulate page does not contradict it. I have entered France on multiple occasions with a Canadian passport and no visa. To see the list of who does not need a visa, go the the consulate page, select 'Visas' from the menu and click "Do I need a visa". Nov 26, 2017 at 4:14
  • 2
    The rep was wrong or your father was mistaken. They are thinking of the case where a person who would be exempt from needing a visa to make a single transit stop needs one if they have two consecutive stops in Schengen. But for people allowed to enter Schengen without a visa that's irrelevant. Nov 26, 2017 at 4:25
  • 2
    The consulate web site also says, "Holders of valid Canadian residence permits (permanent resident card, study or work permits) are not required to have an airport transit visa, regardless of their citizenship." This is even more true of Canadian nationals. That is, this web page is to assist (say) Indian nationals working/studying in Canada with a long-term visa. Nov 26, 2017 at 5:01