I need to go to Brazil on December 7th but just found out my Brazilian passport is expired. I have dual citizenship: Brazil and America. My American passport is valid. I have tried to schedule an appointment at the Brazilian consulate in Miami to renew my passport but the earliest date available is December 19th so that will not work. Would I be able to enter Brazil with my expired Brazilian passport and then re-enter the US with my valid American passport? Help, trying to figure this out ASAP!


As stated in Timatic, the database used by check-in staff at airports:

Nationals of Brazil are allowed to enter with an expired passport.

So your expired Brazilian passport is absolutely enough, and if check-in staff doesn't know this, tell them to check Timatic.

A valid Brazilian carteira de identidade is another option (listed in Timatic as well)

  • Even if the don’t check, how many airline personal would be foolish enough to think that your own country won’t let you in?
    – WGroleau
    Nov 22 '17 at 15:50
  • 2
    @WGroleau Many countries do require their own documents to be valid on arrival, and while they'd let you in, they could heavily fine the carrier and, depending on the country, also the passenger.
    – Crazydre
    Nov 22 '17 at 18:27
  • Well, true, one must never count on common sense from bureaucrats. "We can't keep you out, but we can certainly make sure the airline won't help you get in."
    – WGroleau
    Nov 22 '17 at 19:10
  • @WGroleau Most countries will accept you to get back even with a expired passport but no because it makes your life easier. They do it because instead they need to pay for the logistics and personnel to issue and stamp it at each consulate (more work for the bureucrats)
    – jean
    Nov 24 '17 at 17:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.