I am traveling from US to India, stopping in PEK.

I hold Indian passport, but my US visa has expired (traveling to get it renewed).

I was wondering if I can take the US -> PEK -> India flight without holding any Chinese visa?

Basically does the fact that I do not have valid US visa, invalidate the layover requirements for China.

  • Technically you wont have a valid visa for the USA as far as the Chinese authorities will know.
    – BritishSam
    Nov 14, 2017 at 12:49
  • But I am headed to India, so why does US visa matter? Nov 14, 2017 at 22:06

1 Answer 1


From Timatic it seems like you qualify for transit without visa if your transit time is less than 24 hours:

Transit - China (People's Rep.) (CN)

Visa: Visa required.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa): Holders of confirmed onward air, cruise or train tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours. Transit incl. multiple stops within China (People's Rep.), with a total transit time of max. 24 hours, is permitted. They must travel to a third country.

Transit without visa (TWOV) is not possible at Fuzhou (FOC), Huangshan (TXN), Mudanjiang (MDG), Shenzhen (SZX) and Yanji (YNJ).

This does not apply at Urumqi (URC).

This does not apply at Guangzhou (CAN).

All transiting passengers are subject to a check by immigration. Passengers in transit must hold passports or other documents accepted to enter China (People's Rep.). .

  • So looks like the fact that my US visa has expired won't be an issue. (I am in US legally though visa has expired). Nov 16, 2017 at 2:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.