I will be traveling to Spain as a collaborator in an research institute. While looking for accommodation, I have found a person willing to rent a room to me for almost 3 months (less than 90 days). I have had email correspondence with him on this matter.

So, what do I show as Proof of accommodation in my visa application? Is it feasible/possible to sign some kind of agreement with the host and will that be accepted as proof of accommodation

  • Can your host research institution provide an additional proof on their letterhead with a seal or some such? I assume this is a short stay visa instead of a one year long stay visa.
    – dearN
    Commented Nov 11, 2017 at 14:46
  • It is a short stay and my host institute is sending me an internship agreement, but they are not the ones providing me with accommodation. I am looking for accommodation privately
    – Prada
    Commented Nov 11, 2017 at 14:59
  • Does your research institute have an international office? If so, contact them. I worked in France on a long stay visa. Granted, it is a different visa than "short stay" but my host institution's international office included in their paperwork that I would be looking for accommodation privately.
    – dearN
    Commented Nov 11, 2017 at 21:50

1 Answer 1


You would likely need more than an email as proof accommodation, as part of the visa application to Spain (consistent with Schengen visa guidance).

A letter of invitation outlining the fee-based agreement would be more suitable, the person renting to you should be a citizen or a legal resident Spain, the document verified at the local police station. It should have:

  • Name of the individual (landlord or sublessor)
  • His/her contact details (address, telephone, email)
  • Address of the rented unit
  • Rental period (entry and exit dates)
  • Indication that the unit (house/apartment/room) is a legal rental (i.e., registered with appropriate authorities)
  • Signature of landlord and renter

Attach the original, signed letter to your application.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .