Is it possible to have Schengen Type C and Type D visas at the same time? What if I have a Type D visa and due to change in circumstances, I would like to visit the country as a tourist only?


A Type D visa simply is a longer term visa; it removes the 90 day limit from a single stay; and is usually (but not always) given for specific reasons (such as for study) and is normally limited to a year.

Once you are in the country that issued you the Type D visa, you can visit other Schengen countries, but your stay in the other countries is subject to the same 90/180 rule as if you were on a type C visa.

If your circumstances have changed based on which you were granted the Type D visa; you should visit the embassy and ask for an appropriate visa for your intended purpose pf travel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.