I am a refugee in Ireland and I hold a Refugee Travel Document (1951 Convention Travel Document or Geneva Document). I am applying for a job that may require me to travel to the USA. Would this be possible? My passport has been surrendered and rendered unusable.

1 Answer 1


Yes, you can, provided your B-1 visa application is successful.

For the purpose of US immigration law, the following definition applies:

The term “passport” means any travel document issued by competent authority showing the bearer’s origin, identity, and nationality if any, which is valid for the admission of the bearer into a foreign country.

Because you are not a citizen of Ireland, you cannot travel using the Visa Waiver Program.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.