I'm trying to get a new US passport to go overseas in the winter. I had a passport card once before. I got it when I was 9, a minor. I am nineteen now so this passport is useless. Because I was a minor when it was issued, I don't have to renew it. I want to just apply for a new one.

The passport application asked if I have ever been issued a passport before. If I click yes, they need some info, including my old card number. The card is either somewhere in my mother's house or lost, so I don't have convenient access to the card number.

Another option is to say i was never issued a passport.

Is it wrong for me to say that? If my old passport is expired, do they care?

  • 6
    I'm assuming you're filling up a DS-11. It would be wrong to say you never had a passport. You will need to report it as lost (DS64) and get a replacement by scheduling an appointment at iafdb.travel.state.gov
    – Newton
    Nov 7, 2017 at 17:42

1 Answer 1


If you hover over the little question mark next to the answer box for that question, it says if you don't know the number put "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and "0000" for the year of expiration, so I guess that's what you do.

  • 3
    Worst case, you will also have to fill out a DS-64.
    – DTRT
    Nov 7, 2017 at 18:02
  • 3
    Which also asks for number and issue date. But, you are right.
    – user4188
    Nov 7, 2017 at 18:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .