I’m an Indian national intending to visiting HK for 7 days as a tourist. The HK immigration department has a pre-arrival registration for Indian nationals visiting HK to stay visa-free for not more than 14 days in HK. However a local travel agency told me that I would need a Chinese visa as well. Can anyone please confirm if this is indeed true? I don’t intend on visiting China during this travel.

1 Answer 1


No, you don't need a Chinese visa to visit Hong Kong SAR, under the One country - two systems principle. China and Hong Kong SAR have separate visa/immigration policies and requirements.

From the UK's foreign travel advice page for Hong Kong:

Although Hong Kong is now part of the People’s Republic of China it remains a Special Administrative Region with its own immigration controls. You can visit Hong Kong for up to 6 months without a visa.

You do not need a Chinese visa unless you plan to also visit mainland China.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .