I’m an Indian national intending to visiting HK for 7 days as a tourist. The HK immigration department has a pre-arrival registration for Indian nationals visiting HK to stay visa-free for not more than 14 days in HK. However a local travel agency told me that I would need a Chinese visa as well. Can anyone please confirm if this is indeed true? I don’t intend on visiting China during this travel.


No, you don't need a Chinese visa to visit Hong Kong SAR, under the One country - two systems principle. China and Hong Kong SAR have separate visa/immigration policies and requirements.

From the UK's foreign travel advice page for Hong Kong:

Although Hong Kong is now part of the People’s Republic of China it remains a Special Administrative Region with its own immigration controls. You can visit Hong Kong for up to 6 months without a visa.

You do not need a Chinese visa unless you plan to also visit mainland China.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.