I am a Swiss citizen. I am planning on going to San Diego from Zurich on November 8-15. Would I be able to do a day-trip to Tijuana and then come back? The trip to Mexico would be by land.

Would I be eligible to re-enter the US?

Thank you!

  • 1
    Also travel.stackexchange.com/questions/77328/…
    – gerrit
    Oct 30, 2017 at 16:28
  • @Gerrit That one is outdated
    – Crazydre
    Oct 30, 2017 at 17:12
  • @Coke How is that outdated?
    – Midavalo
    Oct 30, 2017 at 19:04
  • @Midavalo Because it says that you don't Need an ESTA, but will Need an I-94W form. The truth is that at Major crossings, ESTA holders don't Need an I-94W form
    – Crazydre
    Oct 30, 2017 at 19:35
  • 2
    @Coke: Go ahead and write a better answer to the original question, then. Oct 30, 2017 at 19:47

1 Answer 1


Of course you can, as you haven't overstayed your allowed 90 days (which cannot be restored by going to Mexico).

Contrary to the answer in the suggested dupe, if you do have an ESTA you'll not need to fill out an I-94W either.

  • Crossing land-border into the US requires an I-94, not ESTA. The asker should already have an I-94 issued on admission into the US from Zurich. help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1132/~/…
    – Midavalo
    Oct 30, 2017 at 19:09
  • @Midavalo Wrong. ESTA holders do not need the I-94W at major crossings (including Tijuana)
    – Crazydre
    Oct 30, 2017 at 19:35
  • @Midavalo the I-94 created in connection with ESTA is an electronic database record. When a VWP traveler who does not hold ESTA enters by land, they get a paper I-94A form printed for them in connection with the creation of the database record, but if the traveler has active ESTA authorization, the database record is created from that instead. As far as I can tell, the I-94W is no longer in regular use. See cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94-instructions.
    – phoog
    Oct 30, 2017 at 19:53
  • @phoog I understand that, however you still require a valid (not expired) I-94 to cross the border. If you have an electronic one issued when you land, then you won't be asked for one when you cross the border. But if you don't have one then ESTA doesn't automatically waive your need to get one. You'll be asked to complete an I-94W if there is no current electronic I-94 record, whether you have ESTA or not. Charge is $6 at the border (including Tijuana).
    – Midavalo
    Oct 31, 2017 at 2:52
  • From CBP (via email today): If entering by land, you will complete processing upon arrival with the physical form I-94W (6 U.S. dollars). No action is required prior to arrival at the port of entry. Even if you have a valid ESTA you will be required to complete the form I-94W upon arrival at any land port of entry.
    – Midavalo
    Oct 31, 2017 at 2:52

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .