I was refused a B2 visa on May-June three times because honestly, I did not understand how the process works. I just kept trying with new documents that was not presented.
I am 23 this year, female, single, running a sole proprietor business since 2014. I live with my parents. I love traveling, I travel 2-3 times every year (Asia, UK and Australia) with a good record. Went to USA in 2016 under J1, never overstay.
During my first interview in May, I went without any preparation. I only brought 2 of my bank statements from March, one has high balance, another one has lower balance. These are the questions asked.
Why do u want to go to USA
- For visiting
How long do u want to go
- two months
So you're graduated but unemployed? (explained as self-employed in the DS160)
- I am doing an online business
What kind of business ? What do u sell?
- I sell clothes, bags, shoes and beauty products
How long have u been doing it?
- 4 years
Where do u get your stocks from ?
What is your monthly income?
- three to four thousands (in my currency MYR)
(I have two bank accounts. She only reviewed the one with a very low balance, the other one is high)
Do you have a business model? (didn't understand what business model is, I thought she meant business capital. I started my business 4 years ago with low funds)
- no because order when the customer place order.
What is your monthly income?
- three to four thousand
Sorry I can't proceed your visa under 214(b).
I went for my second interview after one month, changed to parent-financing (I thought it would make my profile stronger even though I am able to support myself) and changed the duration to 17 days. This time I brought all my financial documents including Fixed Deposits and Investment but I was not prepared to be ask "What has changed since your last application because changing the dates is not a change". So I told her how my business plans are affecting my trip and what sort of plans I have for the next few months.
Was rejected again with no changed. I asked, why kind of changes should I have because I am a self-employed. She told me my statement showed a low balance last time. I told her I brought my documents with me this time but it was too late. She said I did not present it.
Then, I went for the third interview, with the same application (parent-financing) After I told her that I am running my own business, she said "You have already told my colleague that you are doing an online business, what has changed?" I showed her my bank account that I did not get to present last time. The VO asked how did I get those funds from which I told her its from my business. She asked what products do I sell. She then told me not to waste my money and time.
It's been 5 months and I have focus on improving my profile. These are some of the things happened between this period.
- I traveled to other country for vacation and came home.
- I have fully focus my business on beauty products and accessories (no longer selling clothes)
- I collaborated with new supplier to sell other products.
- I have became a contract distributor of a new local product from my Country & we had a brief contract signing ceremony during the product launch event.
- I have build/recruit a distribution team aka down-line distributor of 10 which I did not have back then in May.
- My business income has increased due to selling of new products and expansion of distribution team.
- I am currently working with local pharmacy to have the product on sale at the pharmacy shop.
I am worried because my circumstance as a self-employed will not change because its my business and I've spent years building it since college. And I won't be getting married at this age.
Should I apply again because I want to see the snow in the USA, go for skiing and see the fireworks for NYE. I will definitely fill in self-financing this time.