I booked a return flight to the Republic of Ireland that has a layover in London Heathrow. I just learned that I need to get a standard visa for the UK just for this layover as I am from China. This is not possible given the time available. I have the option to rebook the flights through Paris and Geneva. Can anyone confirm that these airports do not require an airside transit visa for Chinese citizens?

What other European countries can I try to use instead of the UK for layovers in the future?

  • 1
    For a same-day layover in LHR you need a DATV, not a standard visa (visitor visa). – RedGrittyBrick Oct 17 '17 at 9:44
  • 1
    According to this website, I need a standard visa gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/china/transit/republic_of_ireland – user668074 Oct 17 '17 at 11:35
  • Ah, you didn't mention that your destination was the Republic of Ireland inside the Common Travel Area and EU. It would be best to include final destination in question – RedGrittyBrick Oct 17 '17 at 12:32
  • Why don't you qualify for transit without visa as described in the link in your comment? – RedGrittyBrick Oct 17 '17 at 12:34
  • I need a BIVS visa to be exempt but I can only get a BIVS visa in China. I am currently not residing in China. – user668074 Oct 17 '17 at 13:37

Which European countries require an Airside Transit visa [for a] Chinese citizen?

France doesn't.

You should be OK via Paris CDG if you do not leave the international zone of the airport.

According to the French Government Visa Advice

If you are transiting through an airport in France to travel to an airport outside the Schengen Area without leaving the International Zone of the French airport

As a foreign national, you do not enter the Schengen Area. In principle, you are not subject to entry visa requirements, with some exceptions. Certain nationalities are subject to visa requirements to transit through an airport in France (Airport Transit Visa or ATV).

China is not one of the countries listed among those whose nationals need an ATV.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.