I am a US citizen. My fiancee lives in the UK and we would like to get married in the UK. I understand that a Marriage Visitor Visa is the thing to apply for in this case.

However, in order to get married, we need to give notice at a register office, which takes a minimum of 28 days processing time. I cannot live with my fiancee for that amount of time, so the plan is to apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa, live together for the week required by the register office, and give notice. I would then return to the US and resume work there.

If I recall correctly, the eventual marriage license is valid for one year. My question is: what happens if we decide to get married outside of the 6 months granted by the marriage visitor visa? Can I simply apply for another separate one to get married? I would assume so since the visa page lists giving notice and getting married as separate points, but could this be considered extending or switching the visa, which is not allowed? I assume the authorities would take a dim view of applying for a 6-month visa straight after the conclusion of the previous one. How soon after could a subsequent visa application be made?

  • 2
    Where are you planning to settle after you get married? – phoog Oct 9 '17 at 21:54
  • 1
    Why not do the legal formalities in any other country? The actual ceremony can then be done on a regular visa. – JonathanReez Oct 9 '17 at 23:23
  • 1
    Rather than risk issues with getting another MVV, consider returning to the UK very briefly after 28 days for a legal marriage. You can hold a reception, go on a honeymoon etc. later. – Patricia Shanahan Oct 10 '17 at 0:14
  • 1
    @PatriciaShanahan since one can neither give notice of marriage, nor marry, on a standard visitor visa, doesn't that come straight back to the OP needing two MVVs? – MadHatter Oct 10 '17 at 6:42
  • 2
    Possible duplicate of Question about UK Marriage Visitor Visa Refusal; the question is slightly different but the response addresses all the issues. – Giorgio Jun 17 '18 at 17:56

For a US or any non-EU citizen to marry a British citizen, a settled person, or one with limited leave, the Family visa is intended category under the Immigration Rules Appendix FM: family members.

The Marriage Visitor Visa was put into place for couples, both of whom are non-EU nationals, wishing to enter temporarily for the sole purpose of celebrating their wedding and departing the UK.

The Family visa route is much more strenuous, and costlier £1,523, but you may lawfully remain in the country after the marriage and apply for a spouse visa from within the UK. Once granted, the spouse is able to work and, after 5 years, obtain permanent residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain), and is eligible for British nationality. None of those privileges are extended to those with a Marriage Visitor visa.

  • 2
    The qualifications for a marriage visitor visa are perfectly compatible with the US member of a couple who plan to marry in the UK and settle elsewhere. If you can provide evidence of a similar case in which the visa was denied despite the ECO accepting the couple's stated intentions to settle elsewhere, I will reverse my downvote. The question you linked to above is not similar enough: the application was not internally consistent, and the ECO was not satisfied that the applicant would leave the UK. – phoog Jul 27 '18 at 2:43

protected by phoog Nov 28 '18 at 15:43

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.