I am travelling to Austria for a job interview (for 2 days). Which type of visa should I apply for?

My home country is India and the visit to Austria will be be sponsored by the inviting company. The company will also provide me with an invitation letter.


I am posting the answer to my question, this is same for all non-EU persons, who wants to visit Europe for a scheduled interview.

VISA type required was Type C with purpose as Others (Visiting a company for an interview)

Chances of getting visa will improve if: -

  1. If you have an invitation letter for an interview, correctly stating your visit dates or number of days they required you for an interview. This is a must for this visa.
  2. If they are sponsoring your trip. This pretty much granted the visa.
  3. If you are having a full time job in your home country, to prove that you have strong ties to your home country.

You can certainly skip giving them leave approvals from your employer, by stating the reason in cover letter. Obviously, no employer would give you a leave for giving interview.

Good luck !!

  • 3
    "Obviously, no employer would give you a leave for giving interview." I can imagine several reasons why that might not be the case. – Henning Makholm Apr 20 '18 at 15:11
  • Yes, but we have to consider the context the of interview. right ? – hsg Apr 20 '18 at 15:40
  • @hsg just wondering what did you specify the reason for not providing leave approvals from your employer in a cover letter – Vinay Lodha May 15 at 16:18
  • @Vinay Reason can be because of job interview. But attaching sponsorship letter and hotel flight bookings is a must here. – hsg May 16 at 8:49

It's a short-stay (type C) visa that you want.

If the form asks for the purpose, select business.

  • "If the form asks for the purpose": it does. – phoog Sep 5 '18 at 15:03

protected by Community Nov 8 '18 at 20:44

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.