I just booked a return ticket from Melbourne to Hanoi with a 22-hour layover (overnight) in Shenzhen and a 5-hour layover in Guangzhou on the return leg. I was just wondering if I need to apply for a transit visa and how much will it cost? I've read $30 in one place and ~$100 in others. Where do I apply (I've checked and the Consulate in Melbourne do not accept visa application and it has to go through a commercial service, visaforchina.org). I hold a Vietnamese passport. Thank you!

1 Answer 1


As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:

Transit without visa (TWOV) is not possible at Fuzhou (FOC), Mudanjiang (MDG), Shenzhen (SZX) and Yanji (YNJ).

So yes, you absolutely need a transit visa

  • 1
    Hi! Thank you, I've read that but no info on Chinese gov website so I've planned to apply already. I understand that the visa requirement also applies to cases when travellers would not leave the sterile area? Thanks!
    – Jill
    Oct 5, 2017 at 22:36
  • @Jill Shenzhen doesn't have a transit corridor in the first place - everyone has to clear immigration
    – Crazydre
    Oct 5, 2017 at 22:41
  • Why the downvotes? 144-hour "transit" is only in force at Shanghai, Nanjing and Hangzhou at the moment, although it will be introduced in Guangdong
    – Crazydre
    Oct 6, 2017 at 9:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .