I overstayed my visa waiver in 2008 and was given a 10 year ban, which will be up in June next year. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to visit friends next year when the ban is up?

  • 6
    Which country are you trying to go to? Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 15:43
  • 1
    @HenningMakholm I reckon it's the US, given the 10-year ban and the word "visa waiver" being used
    – Crazydre
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 16:51
  • 1
    By how long did you overstay?
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 17:56

1 Answer 1


Assuming you're talking about the US, you will need a B2 or B1/B2 visa, which is normally valid for unlimited entries for 10 years.

Of course, given your black history, they could give less, or even refuse you. After all, if you overstayed once, why wouldn't you do it again? The documentation you present at the interview essentially has to satisfactorily answer that question.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .