I am considering booking two one-way tickets to travel from Sweden to Mexico. I have both Mexican and Swedish citizenship and passports and a B1/B2 US visa valid until 2 years from now in the Mexican passport. I will be travelling on the B1/B2 visa to the US.

  • The first ticket would be from Sweden to the US via Airline A.

  • The second ticket would be from the US to Mexico via Airline B the next day (booked separately).

1) Are there any rules that I might not be aware of preventing this?

2) Am I likely to be refused entry to the US?


  • 2
    It is hard to prove the non-existence of something but no and no. Commented Oct 4, 2017 at 21:10
  • 1
    You appear to have all the documents you should need. Do you have some reason to think there might be a problem?
    – user67901
    Commented Oct 4, 2017 at 21:52
  • Mostly, that I'll be denied entry with two separate bookings.
    – Alejandro
    Commented Oct 4, 2017 at 22:41
  • 2
    I am not sure what the hesitation is; you have a valid confirmation on a flight exiting the US; and you cannot be denied entry into Sweden or Mexico due to your citizenship; and you have a valid visa to the US. I say relax and enjoy your trip! Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 5:41
  • Alright, thanks for the comments. I will try and write back if I succeeded or not :D The hesitation is that one as a Mexican constantly hears that US officers are likely to turn people around for just about any reason. This perception is probably erroneous.
    – Alejandro
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 12:06

1 Answer 1

  1. No, wou will be admitted, if not for 6 months, then at least for the time needed to catch the connecting flight.

  2. No, with a visa you're not even required to hold a return/onward ticket. Even if you were to enter visa-free as a Swedish citizen, I myself (being Swedish and a lone young male, i.e. a high-risk traveller) have never been asked to show a return flight confirmation (check-in staff in Sweden, however, would check the electronic ticket record, but again none of this matters seeing as you have a visa)

  • The return/onward ticket must in any event be to a destination outside North America, with an exception that might apply to Alejandro but might not. So it's just as well that he has a visa.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 6:39
  • @phoog As a Mexican citizen, he can legally reside in Mexico without further ado, so it would work even without a visa
    – Crazydre
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 11:35
  • The traveler has to be a resident of the destination country, not be able to become one. See law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/8/217.2.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 12:13
  • @phoog Double-checked with the CBP - either legal residency or citizenship of the destination is required.
    – Crazydre
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 12:28
  • 1
    @phoog this is the perfect example of details that cause me to hesitate. Although I hope in most cases the officer will use common sense, there seems to be always room for problems :P From what I understood, I'm on the safe side since I have a valid visa, not VWP. And I am a Mexican citizen. It doesn't make sense that I would need to go anywhere else for the US's sake.
    – Alejandro
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 12:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .