I have an F-1 visa in the US and I was planning on flying home after exams, but before going back home I want to spend some time in Canada where I have a valid ten-year multiple-entry visa. The cheapest flight available requires me to fly back into the US for a connecting flight. My status is still valid. Do I need to get a new transit/visitor's visa (in addition to my F-1 visa) in this situation, even if I am just passing through the airport for a few hours? Thanks for your attention!

  • 1
    As long as you are entitled to F-1 status, you can use that status to enter the US for transit. If your program of study has ended, however, you are not entitled to F-1 status. So the answer depends on whether you are going to return and continue your studies in the US.
    – phoog
    Oct 3, 2017 at 4:12
  • thanks @phoog - I am literally just transiting through an American airport and I will come back to the US for my second semester in two weeks. I was told before that a transit visa is unnecessary as long as my F-1 is still valid and I'm still in school. Is that a valid reason for entry? Oct 3, 2017 at 5:11
  • Who told you that, and why don't you trust them?
    – phoog
    Oct 3, 2017 at 6:35

1 Answer 1


If you're allowed to enter for visit or residency, you can also enter for transit. A visitor or residency visa is thus superior to a transit visa.

This goes for all countries in the world.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.