If you need to transit between terminal 1 & terminal 2 in Munich airport (international transit from Manchester to Muscat), do you need to go out the immigration area (passport control)?

If so, do you need a Schengen visa for transit between the terminals?

  • We'd need to know your country of citizenship to know whether you'd need a visa at all. Commented Oct 3, 2017 at 4:23
  • Possible duplicate of Do I need a visa to transit (or layover) in the Schengen area? Commented Oct 3, 2017 at 7:09
  • 4
    @JacobHorbulyk Not a dupe, as the linked Q says it depends on whether you need to enter Schengen. This Q specifically asks whether OP does need to enter Schengen
    – Crazydre
    Commented Oct 3, 2017 at 8:43

2 Answers 2


As Henning Makholm says, there is a transfer bus between the terminals. One half of the bus is for passengers in the Schengen sector, the other half for passengers in the non-Schengen sector. The halves are blocked off from each other by a glass wall, and at each stop (which is located either in the Schengen or non-Schengen sector), only the doors in the "correct" half of the bus will open.

So you don't need to enter Germany, and, unless holding a nationality requiring an airport transit visa, you don't need a visa.

This is provided the trip is in a single booking. With separate bookings, if you have checked luggage you need to enter Germany to collect it, and thus need a short-stay (type C) Schengen visa. And even with only hand luggage, ground staff in the UK will usually treat Germany as your final destination, and deny you boarding without a short-stay Schengen visa.


There's a non-Schengen transfer bus between the terminals, leaving every 15 minutes from gates H/C08.


So you don't need to enter Schengen.

  • 1
    The person may still need a visa though. Commented Oct 3, 2017 at 4:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .