Do I need a visa to travel to South Africa with a Germany refugee travel document? If yes, what is the requirement for the visa application at the South African embassy?

1 Answer 1


According to a query on the KLM Traveldoc, a visa is required for passengers holding travel documents issued to stateless persons or refugees or travel documents for aliens.

The South African Embassy to the Federal Republic of Germany visa and immigration page notes that [a]ll visa applicants must submit their applications in person during the consular business hours at the Embassy in Berlin or Consulate-General in Munich.

The Consular Section in the Embassy in Berlin
Tiergartenstr. 18
10785 Berlin
Fax Consular Section: 030 22073 202
Email Consular Section: berlin.consular(at)dirco.gov.za

Residents of Bavaria and Baden-Wurttemberg must lodge applications and pay any applicable fees at the South African Consulate-General in Munich:

Südafrikanisches Generalkonsulat
Sendlinger-Tor-Platz 5
80336 Munich
Fax: 089 231 163 53
Email: munich.consular(at)dirco.gov.za

According to the Republic of South Africa Department of Home Affairs, the following documents are required to apply for a visa:

  • A passport or travel document valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of your intended visit
  • Your passport must have at least TWO unused page for entry / departure endorsements
  • A completed Form BI-84 (application for a visa)
  • Payment of the prescribed fee
  • A yellow-fever vaccination certificate (if required)
  • Statement and/or documentation confirming the purpose and duration of your visit
  • Two colour passport photographs
  • A return or onward ticket if you are travelling by air
  • If you have children (minors) travelling with you or joining in South Africa, you will need to provide the following additional documents:
    → Proof of guardianship or custody or
    → Consent from the guardian in the case of an unaccompanied minor
  • Proof of financial means to pay for your living expenses while in South Africa in the form of:
    → Bank statements
    → Salary advances
    → Undertakings by the host(s) in South Africa
    → Bursary
    → Medical cover or
    → Cash available (including credit cards and travellers’ cheques)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .